This kitchen essential is perfect for portioning out high-flavor ingredients, foods you don't want to waste, and even sweet treats. Since you may not be filling your freezer with as many make-ahead meals as usual, these ice cube hacks are a great way to make the most of your freezer real estate.
In your meals...
- Preserve fresh herbs by adding to the ice cube tray with olive oil and freezing. Add to a hot pan to start a sauté or finish a soup or pasta sauce.
- You can also freeze tablespoons of tomato paste, stock, or wine for your next recipe.
- Leftover gravy? Freeze for enriching your next pan sauce.
- And if you never seem to have a lemon or lime on hand when you need one, try freezing the fresh squeezed juice in ice cube trays.
In your drinks...
- Make your next glass of water or tea more exciting with frozen strawberry-kiwi cubes.
- If you love iced coffee, try freezing some of your brew to chill your next cup without diluting it (you could also do this with flavored milk or creamer).
- Freeze milk or coconut milk in cubes for blending your next smoothie.
In your desserts...
For bite-sized sweet treats beyond frozen pops, the ice cube tray is the perfect tool.
- Use as a mold for homemade candy bars: layer melted chocolate, peanut butter, and crushed nuts or cookies and freeze until set. Sandwich vanilla ice cream between layers of melted chocolate for another frozen treat.
- You can also use the trays to portion cookie dough so you can bake off a last-minute batch any time.