Butternut squash gets puréed and diced in this fall pasta dish.
- 2 (14 oz) pkg butternut squash
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 (13.25 oz) box whole wheat penne
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Cut the squash into smaller pieces. In a medium pot, cook squash and garlic in boiling salted water in a medium pot until squash is fork-tender, about 15 min.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to package directions. Drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking liquid.
- Transfer the cooked squash to a strainer. Spoon half into a food processor and purée. Reserve.
- Dice the onion. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the onion for 5 min. Add the squash purée, chopped squash, rosemary, and reserved ¼ cup cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt (in moderation) and pepper.
- Add the pasta and toss with the squash mixture. Divide between 4 plates and top with chopped nuts and Parmesan cheese.
- Budget Friendly
- $10 Meals
- October 2017