This luscious sandwich brings new life to leftover turkey with a homemade cheese sauce and sweet pimentos.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 4 slices thick-cut white bread
- 1 lb sliced, roasted turkey
- 1 (4 oz) jar sliced pimientos
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the broiler to high. In a medium saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 min., stirring often. Slowly whisk in the milk and heat to a simmer, continuing to whisk. Cook 2–3 min., until liquid has thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in the Gruyère cheese.
- Arrange the bread on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Divide turkey between slices of bread. Pour cheese sauce over turkey. Drain the pimientos and divide between the sandwiches. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Broil 2–3 min., until bubbly and golden brown.
Sunday prep steps:
- Arrange bread on foil-lined baking sheet in single layer.
- Divide turkey between slices of bread. Drain pimientos.
- In pot, melt butter on medium. Whisk in flour and cook 2 min. Whisk in milk. Simmer 2 min. Remove from heat and stir in Gruyère cheese.
10 min. before ready to serve:
- Preheat broiler to high. Remove plastic wrap from baking sheet. Spread cheese sauce over turkey. Top with pimientos and Parmesan cheese. Broil 3 min., until bubbly and golden brown.
No Gruyère? Try another melty cheese, like mozzarella, Pepper Jack, or white Cheddar.
- Thanksgiving leftovers
- November 2017