Tart Granny Smith apple adds the perfect crunch to these open-faced sandwiches. Perfect for breakfast or lunch, they could also be cut into small pieces and served as an hors d'oeuvre.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 1 shallot
- 4 oz Gruyère cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Trim the bottom stems from the Swiss chard and chop chard. Peel and thinly slice the shallot. Grate the Gruyère cheese and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler to high. In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add shallots and cook 3 min., until golden, stirring often. Add Swiss chard and red chili flakes. Cook 8 min., until stems are tender, stirring often. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the apple. Arrange the bread on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil 1-2 min. per side, until lightly toasted.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tbsp whole grain mustard. Top with apple slices. Divide Swiss chard evenly among bread slices and sprinkle with Gruyère. Broil 2-3 min., until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- January 2018