Tart lemon curd and sweet pound cake are combined with fresh berries to make a dessert that’s perfect for any crowd.
- 6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 3 lemons
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 (16 oz) pound cake
- 1 (16 oz) container strawberries
- 2 (6 oz) containers raspberries
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut the butter into small chunks. From the lemons, grate 2 tsp zest and squeeze ½ cup juice. In a medium saucepan, combine zest, juice, eggs, and ½ cup sugar on medium-low. Add butter and cook 6–8 min., until thickened, whisking constantly. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a wide bowl, pushing through with a spatula. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of the curd and place in a bowl of ice water to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the pound cake into 1-inch cubes and thinly slice the strawberries. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and raspberries. In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the cream, vanilla, and remaining 2 tbsp sugar 3 min., until stiff peaks form.
- In a trifle bowl or narrow but deep glass bowl, layer ⅓ of the pound cake and top with ⅓ of the whipped cream, ⅓ of the lemon curd, then ⅓ of the berry mixture. Repeat the layering two more times. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
How to tell if your curd is thick enough: Lift up the whisk and swirl it around. If the ribbons of curd sit for a second on the surface before disappearing, you’re good to go.
- April 2018