Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, this gluten-free version of the summer classic gets an extra burst of flavor when dipped in spicy honey.
- 3 cups gluten-free fine white rice flour (not sweet rice flour)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 lbs skin-on, bone-in chicken drumsticks and whole wings
- ½ cup Nature's Promise Organic Wildflower Honey
- 3 tbsp Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Place 1½ cups rice flour in a shallow baking dish and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk remaining 1½ cups rice flour with the baking soda, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1 tsp salt. Stir in 1½ cups water to form a batter.
- In a heavy, deep 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high until hot but not smoking (about 325°F on a deep-fry thermometer).
- Meanwhile, dip the chicken into wet batter, letting excess drip off. Then dip into reserved rice flour, tossing to coat. Place on a large sheet of parchment.
- Add half of the chicken to the hot oil. Fry 13-20 min., until cooked through and to an internal temperature of 165 F, turning occasionally and adjusting heat as needed to maintain temperature. Repeat frying with remaining chicken.
- While chicken fries, arrange a wire rack over a large sheet of foil. Transfer fried chicken to rack and season with remaining ¼ tsp salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, hot sauce, and black pepper. Serve chicken with hot honey for dipping.
- S5 videos
- S5 2018
- Calories 697kcal 35%
- Fat 38.9g 60%
- Saturated fat 3.4g 17%
- Carbs 67.2g 22%
- Sodium 1409mg 59%
- 16.5g sugar
- 1.2g fiber
- 18.2g protein
- 41mg cholesterol