Use up plentiful end-of-summer produce for this fresh and simple appetizer. Make the topping ahead and spoon onto crusty bread when guests arrive.
- 1 ½ lbs yellow and green summer squash
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large baguette
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- 1 lemon
- 2 oz chunk Parmesan
- Set grill to medium-high. Slice the squash on an angle and add to a large bowl, along with 2 tbsp oil, salt, and pepper. Grill 2–3 min. per side, until tender and grill marks appear. Transfer to cutting board.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the baguette and brush on one side with remaining 3 tbsp olive oil. Grill baguette slices 1–2 min. per side, until crispy.
- Finely chop the grilled squash and add to a medium bowl, along with the pesto. Grate zest from the lemon onto squash and squeeze 2 tbsp juice into bowl. Toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon onto grilled baguette slices. Shave the Parmesan on top.
- September 2018
- guiding star