Mashed potatoes get a magical upgrade with all the best fixings like bacon, Cheddar, and chives.
- 4 lbs red potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch chunks and place in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Season with salt. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Uncover and reduce heat. Simmer 12–14 min., until potatoes are very tender.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the bacon. In a 10-inch skillet, cook the bacon on medium 6–8 min., until crisp, stirring often. Set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk and butter. Cover with vented plastic and microwave 3 min., until butter melts, stirring once halfway through.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pot. Add the milk mixture and sour cream. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. With potato masher, mash until mostly smooth.
- Fold in bacon, cheese, and chives, reserving 2 tbsp each bacon, cheese, and chives for garnish. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with reserved bacon, cheese, and chives.
- November 2018