Whether you call these Mexican wedding cookies, Russian tea cakes, or snowballs, they’re still melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a food processor, pulse the walnuts until very finely chopped but not pasty.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter and ½ cup confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Add the flour blend, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt and beat until well combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove cookie dough from refrigerator and let stand 5–10 min. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment. With mini cookie scoop, scoop and roll dough into 1-inch balls. Arrange on cookie sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake 8–10 min., switching sheets on racks halfway through, until bottoms of cookies are just golden. Place remaining ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar in shallow dish.
- Carefully transfer parchment sheets with cookies to wire racks and let cool 10 min. Gently roll each cookie in confectioners’ sugar while still slightly warm. Return to rack and cool completely. Roll again in sugar to coat.
Pecan-Spice: Replace walnuts with 1 cup chopped pecans and add ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, along with extracts.
Almond-Cardamom: Replace walnuts with 1 cup chopped almonds and add 1¼ tsp ground cardamom, along with extracts.
- December 2018
- gluten free
- Calories 189kcal 9%
- Fat 9.5g 15%
- Saturated fat 4.5g 22%
- Carbs 25.2g 8%
- Sodium 24mg <1%
- 10.9g sugar
- 0.5g fiber
- 1.5g protein
- 17mg cholesterol