The slight tang of cream cheese plus warm spices create an irresistible cookie. A drop of food coloring brings out the holiday vibe.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Green or red food coloring
- Place 2 cookie sheets in freezer. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until smooth. Beat in the egg yolk, extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Beat in the flour until well mixed. Tint with the food coloring as desired.
- Use a cookie press to shape dough on chilled cookie sheets (alternatively, use a leveled tablespoon to scoop rounds onto cookie sheets).
- Bake 10–13 min., until edges are golden. Cool on cookie sheets on a wire rack. Repeat baking with remaining dough.
Almond-Citrus: Replace the pumpkin pie spice with 1 tsp almond extract and 2 tsp each grated lemon and orange zests
Sprinkles: Omit the pumpkin pie spice and decorate cookies with chocolate sprinkles before baking.
- December 2018