Blending bread and coconut milk into this soup is one of the secrets to a thicker consistency without any dairy. Fennel seeds deliver a pop of flavor that pairs perfectly with tomatoes.
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 (½-inch-thick) slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (28 oz) cans no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- Finely chop the celery, onion, and garlic. Remove the crusts from the bread.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat the oil on medium-high. Add celery, onion, and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 6 min., until onion is golden, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 min.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, and bread. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min., until vegetables are tender and bread has fallen apart, stirring occasionally. Stir in the coconut milk and remove from heat.
- In a blender in batches or with an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- guiding star
- January 2019
- Calories 243kcal 12%
- Fat 11.0g 17%
- Saturated fat 4.0g 20%
- Carbs 32.0g 11%
- Sodium 192mg 8%
- 12.0g sugar
- 6.0g fiber
- 8.0g protein
- 0mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?