Dried red chilies are worth seeking out. Their roasty, toasty flavor brings complexity to this quick and easy soup brimming with hominy and spices.
- 1 (3 oz) pkg dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch green onions, roughly cut up
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans white hominy, drained
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the chilies and water. Cover with vented plastic and microwave 2 min. Let stand 5 min.
- To a blender, add the chilies and water along with the green onions. Blend until smooth.
- In a large saucepot, heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic and cumin. Cook 2 min., stirring often. Add the broth, hominy, chicken, chili mixture, and sugar. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Season with salt to taste.
Garnish with thinly sliced radishes and finely chopped jalapeños for fresh crunch.
- S2 2019
- guiding star
- chicken broth
- ancho chiles
- Calories 316kcal 16%
- Fat 10.0g 15%
- Saturated fat 2.0g 10%
- Carbs 23.0g 8%
- Sodium 515mg 21%
- 3.0g sugar
- 6.0g fiber
- 33.0g protein
- 79mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?