A bright, lemony cream cheese frosting is the perfect accompaniment to the pink strawberry cake. Your guests never have to know how easy this showstopper was to make.
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ - ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15.25 oz) box strawberry cake mix
- 4 lemons
- 1 ½ (8 oz) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Using the eggs, oil, and water, prepare the cake mix according to package directions for 2 (8-inch) cake rounds. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, from 2 lemons, grate 1 tbsp zest and squeeze 3 tbsp juice. In a large bowl, with hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and salt until very smooth.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until well combined and fluffy. Beat in lemon zest and juice.
- Cut each cooled cake layer into 2 layers for a total of 4 layers. Arrange 1 layer on cake plate. Spread 1 cup frosting on top. Repeat with 3 more layers. Spread remaining frosting on outside of cake, using bench scraper or side of large icing spatula to even out and let sides peek through frosting. Thinly slice the 2 remaining lemons. Decorate cake with lemon slices.
Garnish with some fresh strawberries for another pop of spring flavor.
- April 2019