Instead of flour, this dessert’s crisp crust relies on toasted walnuts and matzo meal for structure. Tart berries and sweet apples join forces for a delectable, fruity filling.
- 7 tbsp kosher for Passover margarine, melted and divided
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and cooled
- ½ cup matzo meal
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ¾ tsp cinnamon, divided
- ¼ tsp salt, divided
- 2 cups frozen mixed-berry medley, thawed
- ¼ cup potato starch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ¼ lbs Golden Delicious apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush inside and bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom with 1 tbsp margarine.
- In a food processor, pulse the walnuts, matzo meal, ¼ cup sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, and ⅛ tsp salt until finely ground, stopping and stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in 5 tbsp margarine until combined.
- Firmly press mixture up the sides and along bottom of prepared tart pan. Bake 8–10 min., until golden. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- When crust has cooled, in a medium saucepan, combine the berries and remaining ½ cup sugar. Cook on medium 3 min., until berries begin to break down, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the potato starch, lemon zest, and remaining ⅛ tsp salt. While berries are still warm, spread in crust in even layer.
- Peel, core, and very thinly slice apples. Arrange apples on top of berries and brush with remaining 1 tbsp margarine. Sift remaining ¼ tsp cinnamon on top. Place tart on a baking sheet and bake 45–50 min., until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- April 2019