These savory pastries get their golden glow and big flavor from a dash of curry powder. Store-bought frozen dough makes this dish a cinch to pull together for a party.
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 ½ tsp curry powder, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp ground allspice
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 20 frozen large empanada dough disks, thawed
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and 1½ tsp curry powder.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the green onions and cook 2–3 min., until golden, stirring often. Add the beef, garlic powder, thyme, allspice, and remaining 3 tsp curry powder. Cook 5 min., breaking up with back of spoon.
- To skillet, add the bread crumbs and ⅔ cup water. Cook another 3–4 min., until beef is cooked and liquid has thickened, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Place 3 tbsp beef filling just below center of dough disc. Fold dough over filling to form half-circle. With fork, press edges to seal tightly. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush tops of patties with egg mixture. Bake 20–22 min., until golden brown on bottoms. Serve warm.
These patties are delicious on their own or accompanied by your favorite hot sauce.
- S4 2019
- Calories 526kcal 26%
- Fat 19.5g 30%
- Saturated fat 6.5g 32%
- Carbs 57.9g 19%
- Sodium 612mg 26%
- 1.4g sugar
- 3.0g fiber
- 27.6g protein
- 115mg cholesterol