Crispy on the bottoms and juicy on the insides, these vegetarian dumplings are sure to wow the crowd at your next dinner party.
- 8 cups packed chopped Napa cabbage
- 2 small carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 (3.5 oz) pkgs sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (1 ½ - inch) piece fresh ginger
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 (12 oz) pkgs wonton wraps
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- In a food processor, in batches, pulse the cabbage until very finely chopped and transfer to a large bowl. Pulse the carrots until very finely chopped and add to bowl with cabbage. Pulse the shiitakes until very finely chopped and transfer to same bowl. Add the salt and mix until well combined. Let stand 15 min., then drain through fine-mesh sieve, pressing firmly to remove excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the ginger. Finely chop the green onions.
- Return cabbage mixture to large bowl and add ginger, green onions, garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir until well mixed.
- With kitchen shears, trim ¼ inch off corners of the wonton wraps. Place under damp paper towels to prevent drying out. Place 2 tsp filling in center of wrap and dampen edges with water. Fold dough over to form half-circle and pinch edges tightly to seal. Pleat edges as desired. Cover with damp paper towels to prevent drying out. Repeat with remaining filling and wraps.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium until hot. Add as many dumplings to pan as will fit without touching. Cook 3–5 min., until bottoms are deep golden brown. Add ¼ cup water to skillet and cover. Cook 3–4 min., until skins are translucent. Uncover (careful, some splattering may occur) and transfer dumplings to plate. Serve warm. Wipe out skillet with paper towel and repeat cooking with remaining dumplings, adding more oil as needed.
- S4 2019
- Calories 376kcal 19%
- Fat 10.2g 16%
- Saturated fat 1.6g 8%
- Carbs 60.3g 20%
- Sodium 960mg 40%
- 3.4g sugar
- 5.3g fiber
- 11.9g protein
- 8mg cholesterol