Tender and buttery, these English-style pastries are similar to fluffy biscuits and make a great canvas for sweet berries. Serve on their own or with butter and jam.
- 2 ½ cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tbsp sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, cut up and cold
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter to flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or hands, quickly work butter into flour mixture until butter is in pea-sized pieces but has not melted. To the bowl, add the milk, 1 egg, and vanilla, stirring and folding until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in the strawberries.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead just until dough comes together. Transfer dough to lined baking sheet and shape into a round loaf (approximately 1½ inches tall). Make 4 cuts into dough to form 8 wedges and separate, spacing 2 inches apart.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining egg and 1 tbsp water. Brush the top of scones with egg wash and, if desired, sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake 25–28 min., until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- In Season
- S4 2019
- Calories 297kcal 15%
- Fat 13.9g 21%
- Saturated fat 8.1g 40%
- Carbs 35.8g 12%
- Sodium 288mg 12%
- 5.0g sugar
- 1.4g fiber
- 6.9g protein
- 95mg cholesterol