The natural sweetness from peak produce reduces the need for too much sugar in the filling of this all-American dessert flavored with a hint of cinnamon and crunchy almonds.
- 4 cups cherries
- 1 ½ lbs ripe peaches
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 5 tbsp butter, cut up and softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2½-qt baking dish. Pit and halve the cherries. Pit and chop the peaches.
- Add fruit to a large bowl and toss with granulated sugar, extract, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, almonds, and remaining ½ tsp cinnamon. Add butter and, with clean hands, work butter thoroughly into oat mixture, until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle oat crumble over fruit. Bake 35–40 min., until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling. Let stand 10 min. before serving.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- In Season
- July August 2019
- Guiding Stars