Just try stopping your guests from inhaling these warm, chewy pretzel bites, paired with a delectable cheese sauce seasoned with spicy mustard.
- 5 cups water
- ⅓ cup baking soda
- 16 oz fresh or frozen pizza dough, room temperature
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 8 oz extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- ½ (12 oz) bottle brown or amber ale
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the water in a large pot and stir in the baking soda. Heat to a boil on high. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Meanwhile, with lightly floured hands, roll pizza dough into 1-inch balls. Gently add the dough balls to the boiling water. Cook 1 min., stirring gently. With a slotted spoon, remove the dough balls, shaking off excess liquid, and place on lined baking sheet, spacing ½-inch apart.
- Brush the dough balls with the egg. Sprinkle with the salt. Bake 12–15 min., until deep golden brown.
- While pretzels bake, coarsely grate the Cheddar and, in a medium bowl, toss with the cornstarch until well coated. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, beer, and mustard. Heat on medium-high until hot and slightly steaming but not boiling, stirring often. Whisk in the Cheddar by handfuls until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cheese sauce with warm pretzel nuggets.
- October 2019
- Slam Dunk Bites Cookbook