Rosemary, garlic, and Dijon lend loads of flavor to this surprisingly easy but impressive holiday roast.
- 1 (8- 9 lbs) 3-rib bone-in standing rib roast, trimmed
- 1 ½ tsp salt, divided, plus more for seasoning
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground mixed peppercorns
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary, plus springs for garnish
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Season the roast all over with 1 tsp salt and place in a shallow roasting pan, rib-side down. Roast 20 min.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the mustard, peppercorns, rosemary, garlic, and remaining ½ tsp salt. Stir in the oil until well combined.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Brush mustard mixture all over top and sides of roast. Place in oven and cook 1½–2 hours (about 10 min. per lb for medium-rare), until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast reaches 120°F for medium-rare or 130°F for medium, rotating roasting pan 2–3 times.
- Transfer roast to a carving board. Let rest 20 min., tenting loosely with foil.
- Thinly slice roast and arrange on a large serving platter.
- Savory December 2019
- rib roast
- beef roast
- Calories 1262kcal 63%
- Fat 97.0g 149%
- Saturated fat 40.8g 204%
- Carbs 1.1g <1%
- Sodium 745mg 31%
- 0.1g sugar
- 0.3g fiber
- 96.5g protein
- 335mg cholesterol