Portabella mushrooms stand in for pizza crust and get a double dose of tomato flavor with fresh tomatoes as well as tomato sauce.
- 4 medium portabella mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chunky pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Trim stems of the mushrooms. With spoon, scrape and discard gills from mushroom caps. Brush with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange gill-sides up on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 10 min.
- Meanwhile, slice or halve the cherry tomatoes. Carefully remove mushrooms from oven. Drain off any excess liquid in mushroom caps. Divide the pasta sauce among mushrooms. Top with the shredded mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. Roast 8–10 min., until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melty.
Garnish with 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- October November 2020
- gluten free
- Five Ingredients
- take 5
- Wheat Free
- Take 5: Five Ingredient Recipes Cookbook
- 5 ingredients
- Egg Free