Prepared with a creamy beer cheese sauce and topped with pretzel crust, this yummy mac and cheese delivers delicious flavors in every bite.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg Ronzoni® Large Elbows
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 1 pretzel bun, torn into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups lager beer
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 oz brick style plain cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-sticking cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large high-side skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Remove 2 tbsp melted butter and toss with torn pieces of pretzel bun; set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in beer. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Whisk in cream; bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add cubes of cream cheese, whisking until melted. Stir in Cheddar until melted.
- Remove from heat and add pasta, reserved pasta water and green onions. Toss until well coated. Transfer to prepared dish. Top with reserved buttered pretzel pieces. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Substitute pretzel bun with 1 large fresh pretzel.
Recipe provided by Ronzoni Pasta
- Calories 942kcal 47%
- Fat 53.8g 83%
- Saturated fat 32.7g 163%
- Carbs 72.9g 24%
- Sodium 1082mg 45%
- 7.0g sugar
- 3.3g fiber
- 36.8g protein
- 167mg cholesterol