Frozen kale and anchovies are great to keep on hand for whipping up easy, fast, and affordable pasta dinners.
- 12 oz penne
- ½ (16 oz) bag frozen chopped kale, thawed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (2 oz) can anchovies in oil (undrained)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high. Cook the penne according to package directions. Just before draining, reserve ¾ cup cooking liquid and stir the kale into water. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in an 8-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add the anchovies and cook 2–3 min., until anchovies have dissolved, breaking up with wooden spoon and stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper, if using. Cook 1 min., until garlic is golden, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Return drained pasta and kale mixture to empty pot. Add anchovy mixture, along with pasta water. Toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add a splash of pasta water to the skillet and then add that to the pasta to get every last drop of flavor from the skillet.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Budget Friendly
- Guiding Stars
- $10 Meals
- Savory February March 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free