With a little help from the freezer, this better-than-takeout fried rice is a breeze to whip up. Bacon provides a hint of smoky flavor while pineapple brings a tangy sweetness.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch green onions
- ½ (16 oz) bag frozen pineapple chunks, thawed
- 4 oz bacon slices
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ (16 oz) bag frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ (16 oz) bag frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 3 tbsp reduced -sodium soy sauce
- In a medium pot, combine the rice and water. Season with salt. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat to simmer gently. Cover and cook 40–45 min., until rice is tender. Fluff with fork and let cool slightly, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the green onions. Cut the pineapple into smaller chunks (about ¼ inch). Chop the bacon.
- In a deep 12-inch nonstick skillet, add the oil and bacon. Cook on medium 5–7 min., until bacon is browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small bowl. To same skillet, add the garlic and green onions. Cook 2–3 min., until golden, stirring often. Add the pineapple, corn, and green beans. Cook 3–5 min., until warmed.
- To skillet, add cooked rice and bacon. Stir to combine. Drizzle the soy sauce on top and toss to combine. Cook 2–3 min., until well combined and hot, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For longer-term uncooked bacon storage, rewrap slices of bacon in stacks of 3–4 and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw bacon in the refrigerator as needed.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- From Freezer to Table Cookbook
- Budget Friendly
- Guiding Stars
- $10 Meals
- February March 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free