Get into the spirit of the game with this cheesy vegetarian dip served up in a football-shaped loaf of bread.
- 2 green onions
- 1 medium oval-shaped loaf Italian or French bread
- 1 (16 oz) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, cut up and softened
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Corn chips, tortilla chips, and cut vegetables, for serving
- Cut green onions to get one 4- to 5-inch-long piece and several 1½-inch-long pieces. From top of bread, cut out a football shape. Remove bread to create football-shaped cavity, making sure to leave bottom and sides intact.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the beans, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, and chili powder. Heat on medium until cheeses are melted, stirring often. Remove from heat. Stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer dip to cavity in loaf of bread. Arrange pieces of green onion on top to form stitches. Serve warm or at room temperature with corn chips, tortilla chips, and cut vegetables.
Freeze the bread removed in step 1 for meatballs or to thicken soups.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- February March 2021
- Egg Free
- Calories 140kcal 7%
- Fat 7.6g 12%
- Saturated fat 4.6g 23%
- Carbs 10.3g 3%
- Sodium 386mg 16%
- 1.1g sugar
- 3.0g fiber
- 8.0g protein
- 22mg cholesterol