With only some self-rising flour, Greek yogurt and an egg, you can enjoy warm, freshly baked bagels anytime. The homemade savory spread takes this brunch staple over the top.
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 ½ cups thick nonfat Greek yogurt, like Fage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 slices Nature’s Promise Uncured Fully Cooked bacon
- 1 (8 oz) pkg reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup finely chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and coat with the cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour and Greek yogurt until combined. Transfer dough to a lightly dusted work surface and knead about 3–5 min., until dough comes together and is smooth.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Working with one portion at a time, use hands to roll dough into a 2-inch ball. Then poke a finger into the center of dough, stretching and twirling the dough to shape into a 3½-inch diameter with 1-inch hole. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Brush the egg wash over bagels. Place on top rack of oven and bake 20–25 min. Meanwhile, microwave the bacon according to package directions. Crumble or finely chop bacon. In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese with bacon and green onions. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Let bagels cool slightly, slice open, and spread with cream cheese mixture.
For an everything bagel, sprinkle everything seasoning on bagels after brushing with egg wash but before baking.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- In Season
- May 2021