Ditch the deep fryer and lighten up classic chimichangas. Kids can help make these family-friendly baked burritos for an easy weeknight meal.
- Cooking spray
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 ½ cups Mexican-style shredded cheese
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Sour cream and mild salsa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Coat foil with the cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the ground beef, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook 5–7 min., until browned, stirring and breaking up beef with a spatula. Stir in the corn and cook 3–4 min. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef mixture to a medium bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the cheese. Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave 30 sec.–1 min., until warm.
- Place a spoonful of beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold bottom of tortilla up toward center. Fold sides inward and roll up to close. Place seam-side down on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Generously coat chimichangas with cooking spray. Bake 30–35 min., until golden. Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Guiding Stars
- September 2021
- Egg Free