Cake mix and store-bought frosting are enhanced to create creepy yet cute Halloween spider cupcakes that will impress a crowd.
- 1 (15.25 oz) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (16 oz) can vanilla frosting
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- 12 pitted dates
- 1 (0.67 oz) tube black decorating gel
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using the water, oil, and eggs.
- Bake cupcakes 15–18 min., until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 min., then remove from pan to finish cooling completely.
- When cupcakes have cooled, in a medium bowl, combine the vanilla frosting and peanut butter. Stir in 1 tbsp water if the frosting is too thick. Using a piping bag or a spatula, frost cupcakes. If desired, sprinkle frosting with a pinch of sea salt. Top each cupcake with a date in the center for spider body. Using the decorating gel, pipe 4 legs to each side of date for spider legs.
To avoid nut allergies, replace peanut butter with sunflower butter.
This recipe is
- October November 2021