You may never return to baked lasagna after trying this soup version that is a quicker, easier, and lighter take on the original. A twist of pesto stirred into the ricotta turns this into a next-level meal.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 (1 lb) pkg 93% lean ground beef
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (24 oz) jar Nature's Promise® Organic Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into large pieces
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp jarred pesto
- Fresh basil, to garnish (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the beef. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, 5–7 min., stirring and breaking up beef with back of spoon. Meanwhile, crush the whole tomatoes with clean hands or snip into pieces with kitchen shears.
- To pot, add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook 30 sec., stirring constantly. Add the canned tomatoes and juice, pasta sauce, and chicken broth, using a rubber spatula to scrape any bits stuck to the bottom. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil on medium-high and then reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook 15 min.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil on high. Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, and pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove lasagna soup from heat. Stir in cooked noodles. Divide among bowls and dollop with ricotta mixture to serve. Garnish with the basil, if desired.
To cook the lasagna noodles in the soup, add them to soup along with 1½ cups extra broth or water. Let soup simmer 12–15 min., stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender.
- October November 2021
- Meal Prep