When you don’t feel like firing up your grill, use your broiler to cook your steak in minutes. These quick homemade refried beans come together while the steak is in the oven.
- ¼ cup jarred pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ lbs skirt steak
- 2 (8.8 oz) pkgs precooked Nature's Promise® Mexican Style Rice
- 1 (15.5 oz) can Nature's Promise® Organic Low Sodium Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp cotija or crumbled queso fresco cheese
- Arrange oven rack 4–6 inches from broiler. Set broiler to high. In a small bowl, combine the pesto with 1 tbsp oil. Place the steak on a foil-lined baking sheet and rub all over with pesto mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Broil 5–7 min. per side for medium-rare or until desired doneness. Let stand 10 min.
- Meanwhile, microwave the rice according to package directions. In a 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on high. Add the black beans and ⅓ cup water. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 min., stirring occasionally. Using a potato masher, mash the beans until almost smooth. Cook another 5 min., stirring often. Remove from heat and season with salt to taste. Garnish with the cotija cheese.
- Thinly slice steak and serve with refried beans and rice.
- 9 to 5
- 30 minutes
- Guiding Stars
- September 2021
- Tex-Mex Inspired
- 9 Ingredients 5 Meals