These melt-in-your-mouth cookies from Bolivia show off Christmas colors but can be tweaked to fit any holiday color scheme.
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp flavored extract like anise, coconut, or lemon (optional)
- Regular or gel red food coloring, as needed
- Regular or gel green food coloring, as needed
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a clean, dry bowl, use a stand mixer or hand mixer to whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar, beating 3–4 min. on high until soft peaks form.
- Adjust speed to low, and slowly add the granulated sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, flavored extract (if using), and a pinch of salt. Beat until combined and again until stiff peaks form.
- Using a silicone brush, make streaks of red and green food coloring in a piping bag or resealable plastic bag, aiming for 3 total streaks. Add meringue mixture to bag. Hold the pastry bag perpendicular to parchment-lined baking sheet and pipe meringues in small dollops to form the shape of a chocolate kiss, aiming for 2 inches high and 1½ inches in diameter.
- Bake meringues 1½ to 2 hours. Once they feel firm and dry, turn off oven, and allow to remain in the closed oven for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, until completely cooled. Keep in an airtight container up to 7 days.
If desired, brush just one color of red or green in the piping bags to make the meringues one color
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- December 2021
- Lactose Free
- Cookies Around the World Cookbook