This rich, decadent sweet-and-salty dessert from Canada is made with buttery crackers, crunchy nuts, and rich chocolate. It’s sure to be a new favorite.
- 12 tbsp (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature and divided
- 2 sleeves butter crackers (60 crackers)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tbsp instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 6 tbsp butter. To a food processor, add the butter crackers, cocoa powder, and ½ tsp salt. Pulse until it resembles flour.
- Transfer cracker mixture to a large bowl and fold in the coconut, walnuts, egg, and melted butter. Add to the lined baking dish and press down firmly. Bake 10–12 min., until golden. Let cool completely.
- Melt remaining 6 tbsp butter in a microwave-safe bowl. To a large bowl, add melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, pudding mix, milk, and vanilla. Season with remaining ½ tsp salt. Mix until smooth and spread evenly on the top of cooled bars. Freeze at least 1 hour to set.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring in between. Stir in the oil until combined. Spread evenly over the top of bars and garnish with the sea salt. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to cool completely. Cut into 8 rows; cut each row into 4 pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This recipe is
- December 2021