These popular American cookies get a sweet-and-salty twist thanks to miso for an easy holiday cookie.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup miso paste
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup turbinado sugar, or granulated sugar, for coating
- 25 chocolate kisses
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter, mayonnaise, and sugars 2–3 min., until fluffy.
- To the large bowl, add the egg and vanilla, mixing well to combine. Add miso paste and peanut butter, mixing until thoroughly combined. In batches, slowly add dry ingredients on low speed until combined. Refrigerate dough 1 hour, until fully chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To medium bowl, add the turbinado or granulated sugar. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and coat in sugar. Place on two ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 8–10 min., until edges are light brown. Meanwhile, unwrap the kisses. When cookies come out of the oven, immediately press 1 chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
This recipe is
- December 2021
- 30 minutes
- Cookies Around the World Cookbook