These popular Russian spice cookies are infused with tea and coffee, making them perfect with your caffeine of choice for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- ¼ cup finely ground coffee
- 1 ¼ cups hot water, divided
- 4 herbal tea bags
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 (15.2 oz) boxes spice cake mix
- 1 (4 oz) container Paradise ™ Candied Orange Peel
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Soak the ground coffee in ½ cup hot water, stirring until dissolved. Steep the herbal tea in ¾ cup hot water for 10 min. Let coffee and tea cool completely and reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coffee mixture, egg, and oil. With a spatula, carefully fold in the cake mix and orange peel. If it’s too dry, knead with your hands until a ball of dough forms. Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Roll dough into balls (1 tbsp each) and arrange on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 13–15 min., until cookies start to crack. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar with reserved tea and whisk to form a glaze. Dip cookies in glaze to fully coat the tops, working quickly before the glaze dries. Let dry on a cooling rack. Once the tops are dry, dip the bottoms in the glaze and allow to sit 5 min. Keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- December 2021
- Lactose Free
- Cookies Around the World Cookbook