These ginger cookies are so simple to make and fun for kids. The treats are not only pleasing to the eye, but delicious for any holiday celebration.
- ¼ cup Paradise ™ Crystallized Ginger
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (7 oz) bag fruit-flavored hard candies, such as Jolly Rancher, divided by color
- With a serrated knife, very finely chop the crystallized ginger. To a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar 2–3 min., until fluffy. One at a time, beat in the egg yolks until combined. Add the molasses and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In batches, slowly add the dry ingredients on low speed until combined. Fold in reserved crystallized ginger. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 min.
- Meanwhile, line two large baking sheets with parchment. Unwrap hard candies and transfer each color to a separate sealable plastic bag. Use a heavy pan or rolling pin to thoroughly crush candies.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to approximately ¼-inch thickness. Using 3-inch cookie cutters, cut dough into Christmas shapes and transfer to prepared pans. Using a smaller cutter, cut out the center of each cookie.
- Carefully sprinkle crushed candies in centers of cookies. Bake for 8–10 min., until golden brown. Cool cookies completely and allow centers to harden for at least 15 min. before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- December 2021
- Cookies Around the World Cookbook