A flaky puff pastry stuffed with carrots, mushrooms, chestnuts, and spinach can be both vegan and the meal centerpiece to a holiday celebration.
- 1 lb carrots
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz cremini, shiitake, and/or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (5.2 oz) pkg roasted, peeled whole chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ (16 oz) bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 (15.5 oz) can small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (17.3 oz) pkg vegan puff pastry sheet (thawed, if frozen)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, to serve (optional)
- Peel and chop the carrots into 1-inch pieces. In a large heavy-duty skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium. Add carrots, mushrooms, and chestnuts. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté 10–12 min., until carrots are tender and mushrooms have released their liquid, stirring occasionally.
- To skillet, stir in the shallots, spinach, soy sauce, garlic, and Italian seasoning blend. Cook 2–3 min., until any liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, purée the beans until smooth. Season well with salt and pepper, puréeing again. Transfer to a large bowl. Wipe out food processor and transfer vegetable mixture to it. Pulse vegetables until finely chopped, careful not to over-pulse. Fold vegetable mixture into bean purée.
- Onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, unroll 1 puff pastry sheet. Spread vegetable mixture in an even layer down the middle of pastry, leaving a 1½-inch border. Brush pastry border with some of remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Unroll second puff pastry sheet and place on top, pressing gently to remove any air bubbles. Roll and crimp edges, pressing firmly to seal (you should end up with an approximately 9½x11-inch rectangle). Brush top and sides of pastry with oil. With a paring knife, cut several slices in the top to release steam. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 40–45 min., until golden brown and puffed. Allow to cool for at least 10 min. Cut into thick slices and serve garnished with parsley, if desired.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Plant Forward
- December 2021
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free