Get all the flavors and fun of pink lemonade with this easy and colorful roll cake.
- Cooking spray
- 5 large eggs
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups boxed lemon cake mix
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners' sugar, divided, plus more for dusting
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp low-fat milk
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 5 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch sheet pan with parchment and coat with the cooking spray.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs. With a hand mixer, beat eggs on medium for 6–7 min., until thick and pale yellow. From the lemon, grate ½ tsp zest and squeeze 1 tbsp juice into bowl with eggs. Add the cake mix, oil, and 3 tbsp water. Beat on low 30 sec. to combine, then beat on medium for 1 min. Spread the batter in an even layer in prepared pan. Bake 10–12 min., until cake springs back in center when touched.
- Meanwhile, sift ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar over a clean kitchen towel. When baked, run a paring knife around the edges to loosen. While cake is still hot, carefully turn it out onto the towel and peel away parchment paper. Starting from the long side, immediately roll cake up with towel, like a spiral, until the seam is on the bottom. Allow to cool while rolled 1 hour.
- In a second large bowl with a hand mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar and beat on medium to combine. Add the milk and continue mixing. Add remaining ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar and beat until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add the lemon extract, jam, and salt. Beat on high until combined and smooth. Refrigerate 15 min., or until ready to use.
- Carefully unroll cooled cake and spread frosting evenly on the inside of the roll. Reroll cake and place seam-side down on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Store remaining cake mix in an airtight container and use to make cookies or pancakes.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- April 2022