Mediterranean flavors inspired this take on a Southern classic that is perfect for a bounty of ripe tomatoes. Make this for brunch, lunch, or as a side dish with dinner.
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- 2 ½ lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill or parsley
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped Kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 10 min. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake another 5 min.
- Meanwhile, core and slice the tomatoes to ½-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle with salt and place in a colander for at least 15 min. to release liquid. Use paper towels to gently press out as much liquid as possible from drained tomatoes. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg until smooth. Stir in the mayonnaise, herbs, and 1¼ cups cheese.
- Sprinkle the onion and remaining ¼ cup cheese onto the bottom of the pie crust. Layer two-thirds of tomato slices in the pie, along with the olives. Season with pepper. Spread cheese mixture evenly over tomatoes. Top with remaining tomato slices. Bake 40–50 min., until crust is golden and pie is set. Let cool 30 min. before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- July August 2022