Impress your guests with this casserole-like dinner baked and served in a whole pumpkin. Whole-grain brown rice keeps this hearty recipe lower-carb.
- 1 medium pumpkin (about 8- 10 lbs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (16 oz) pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 (1 lb) pkg 93% lean ground beef
- 1 (5 oz) pkg Nature's Promise® Baby Spinach
- 1 (10.5 oz) can less-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15.9 oz) pkg precooked Nature's Promise® Whole Grain Brown Rice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to center position or lower, depending on the size of your pumpkin. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the top of the pumpkin to create a lid. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from inside, reserving seeds to roast, if desired.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onion and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3–4 min., until slightly softened, stirring occasionally. Add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 4–6 min., until browned, stirring and breaking up meat very finely with a wooden spoon. In batches, stir in the spinach until wilted. Remove from heat.
- To a large heatproof bowl, add ground beef mixture, soup, and rice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Ladle beef mixture into pumpkin. Return pumpkin lid to seal and place on baking sheet. Bake 1½ hours. Remove pumpkin lid and continue to cook 15–20 min., until pumpkin flesh can be easily pierced with a knife. Spoon filling and roasted pumpkin onto plates to serve.
To make vegetarian, swap the ground beef for plant-based ground meat.
This recipe is
- Plant Forward
- Nut Free
- October November 2022
- whole grain
- Guiding Stars
- Celebration Moments
- Meal Prep
- Egg Free