Think of this bar as the marshmallow square’s sophisticated cousin, with browned butter, peanut butter, and butterscotch chips. The marshmallow crème hack lets you skip melting the marshmallows and adding corn syrup and sugar.
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups marshmallow creme
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Sea salt, for garnish
- Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment. In a light-colored or stainless steel 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium. When butter is foamy, cook another 3–5 min., until brown specks appear, swirling and stirring often. Add the marshmallow crème and stir until melted and well combined. Remove from heat. Stir in the peanut butter.
- To a large bowl, add the cereal and peanut butter mixture. Mix until combined. Press cereal mixture firmly and evenly into prepared baking dish.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Microwave on high in 30-sec. intervals, until melted and smooth, stirring between intervals. Spread chocolate mixture over top of scotcheroos in an even layer. Sprinkle sea salt over top. Refrigerate at least 30 min., until chocolate has set. Cut lengthwise into 4 rows; cut each row into 5 pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Using a light-colored skillet helps you see when the butter is brown.
This recipe is
- Wheat Free
- Cookie Party
- Celebration Moments
- December 2022
- Slam Dunk Bites Cookbook