Lighten up a Southern Cajun classic of jambalaya by taking all the flavors and stuffing it into bell peppers.
- 6 large bell peppers (around 2 lbs total)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ lb ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sodium-free Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.9 oz) pkg Nature's Promise® Precooked Brown Rice
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Hot sauce, as desired (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice tops off the peppers (reserving tops) and remove the inner ribs. If needed, cut a thin slice off pepper bottoms so peppers sit flat. Add peppers to a 3-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet on medium-high, heat the oil. Add the onion, celery, and ground chicken and cook 5–7 min., using the back of a wooden spoon to break into bite-size chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- To skillet, add the garlic, Cajun seasoning, and jalapeño, if using. Cook 3–5 min., until softened. Add the tomato paste. Cook 1 min., until tomato paste has darkened in color.
- Add the diced tomatoes and ½ cup water. With a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil. Cook 5–7 min., until mixture has reduced slightly. Add the brown rice and stir to combine, breaking up rice. Remove skillet from heat.
- Divide rice and chicken mixture evenly among peppers. Place pepper tops over filling. Add enough water to baking dish to fill a quarter of the way up peppers. Cover dish with foil. Bake 35–45 min., until tender. Garnish with the green onions and serve with the hot sauce, if desired.
This recipe is
- Plant Forward
- Nut Free
- whole grain
- Guiding Stars
- Meal Prep
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free
- January 2023