Make your favorite takeout right at home with this easy sushi recipe. Smoked salmon and imitation crab are the stars of these rolls.
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 4 cups water, plus more for washing rice
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ English cucumber
- 1 ripe avocado
- 6 seaweed sheets
- 1 (4 oz) pkg pre-sliced smoked salmon slices
- ½ (8 oz) pkg imitation crab meat
- Sriracha (optional)
- Low-sodium soy sauce, to serve
- Add the rice to a medium bowl. Fill bowl with cold water and stir rice to release excess starch. Carefully drain water from rice and repeat until water is almost clear.
- To a medium saucepan, add washed rice and water. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook 10 min., until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar. Let cool. Meanwhile, thinly slice the cucumber lengthwise. Halve, pit, and slice the avocado.
- Lay out 1 seaweed sheet on a cutting board. Press and spread a thin layer of rice across seaweed, leaving at least ½-inch edge on top and bottom. Along bottom of rice, layer cucumber and avocado slices, plus a slice of the smoked salmon and/or imitation crab. Drizzle the sriracha over filling, if desired.
- Brush some water along top edge of seaweed. Starting from bottom, carefully roll up the sushi into a tight log. Repeat the process with remaining ingredients. Cut each roll into 8 equal pieces. Serve with the soy sauce.
A rolling mat can help make rolling the sushi even easier.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- February March 2023
- 30 Minute
- Guiding Stars
- Thirty Minutes
- Celebration Moments
- Meal Prep
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free