This is the type of recipe your slow cooker was made for. Perfect on a cold winter day, there's nothing better than coming in from the cold to the rich smell of tender beef and vegetables. It's the best way to relax after a long day.
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 lb beef or pork stew meat
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 ½ cups vegetable cocktail juice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried basil, crushed
- ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2 ¼ cups cubed, peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- Place flour in a plastic bag.
- Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- In a large saucepan brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil.
- In the bottom of a 3 1/2 or 4 quart electric crockery cooker layer onion, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Sprinkle with bouillon granules, garlic, basil, and thyme; add meat.
- Pour 3 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail over meat.
- Cover, cook on low heat setting for 10 - 12 hours or till meat and vegetables are tender.
- Calories 350kcal 18%
- Fat 12.5g 19%
- Saturated fat 3.3g 16%
- Carbs 33.0g 11%
- Sodium 940mg 39%
- 12.0g sugar
- 5.7g fiber
- 29.0g protein
- 73mg cholesterol