The taste of a southern delicacy can be easily and affordably reproduced at home with this Cajun crab cake recipe. Imitation crabmeat tastes creamy, lemony and delicious when mixed with Louisiana-spices and fried up in crispy bread crumbs. Pairs well with a salad and garlic toast.
- 8 oz imitation crab, flake style
- ½ cup finely diced green or red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning *
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup toasted bread crumbs, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray or coat a baking sheet with vegetable oil. Shred crab into smaller pieces and place in a medium bowl with remaining ingredients, using 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs. Mix well and shape the crab mixture into 4 cakes.
- Coat crab cakes in remaining breadcrumbs, pressing crumbs onto the cakes, and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
*Or use a blend of paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.