The classic—and once obscure—New England whoopee pie has experienced a resurgence in recent years. This easy-to-prepare carrot cake version is lighter than the traditional buttercream-filled variety, but is every bit as flavorful, tender and indulgent.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup seedless raisins
- 8 oz tub fat-free cream cheese, soft
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat 2 large baking sheets with butter or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, oil, sugar, egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold in carrots and raisins. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into 24 mounds onto prepared baking sheets, flattening slightly.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, switching sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are lightly browned and spring back when touched lightly.
- Cool cookies on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine cream cheese with confectioner's sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Sandwich cookies together with frosting.
- Calories 208kcal 10%
- Fat 6.9g 10%
- Saturated fat 2.9g 14%
- Sugars 16.8g 19%
- Sodium 235mg 0 %
- 30.3g carbohydrate
- 1.3g fiber
- 5.4g protein
- 26mg cholesterol