Boasting an impressive presentation, the classic dish of rolled chicken Florentine is actually very easy to prepare. What's more, each package hides a serving of spinach, adding vegetables to the plate. Smother with a simple white sauce redolent with softened onion.
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp melted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp toasted bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- Rinse spinach, remove tough stems and coarsely chop leaves. On stove or in microwave, steam spinach in 1 tablespoon of water just until wilted.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly coat baking pan with oil or cooking spray.
- Place chicken pieces, smooth side down, on a clean surface and press with fingers to flatten. Spread crushed garlic over each and top with spinach. Roll up to enclose spinach. Dip tops of rolls in half of the melted butter, then in bread crumbs and place in baking dish. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While chicken is baking, prepare sauce. Saute onions in remaining butter over medium heat just until soft, but not browned. Whisk together milk and flour and add to onions. Cook until thickened , stirring frequently. Stir in Parmesan.
- To serve, pour sauce over cooked chicken and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
- Calories 353kcal 18%
- Fat 17.1g 26%
- Saturated fat 5.9g 30%
- Carbs 19.1g 6%
- Sodium 317mg 13%
- 4.7g sugar
- 4.5g fiber
- 32.1g protein
- 86mg cholesterol