Make a complete, complex-tasting meal with this classic recipe for Mexican Arroz con Pollo. Skinless chicken forms the base of this dish while the rice cooks up with onion, bell pepper, broth and seasonings for a tasty one-dish meal.
- 1 ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded
- 1 tbsp light stick margarine, melted
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 12x9x2-inch casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Put in the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the margarine, garlic, pepper and paprika. Brush on the chicken.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Cook the onion and bell pepper for 3–4 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in the rice. Cook for 2–3 minutes or until the rice begins to brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes and turmeric. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and chicken. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Calories 377kcal 19%
- Fat 14.8g 23%
- Saturated fat 4.0g 20%
- Carbs 31.5g 11%
- Sodium 157mg 7%
- 3.1g sugar
- 2.3g fiber
- 27.3g protein
- 76mg cholesterol