Sweet apples add an interesting twist to traditional French onion soup in this mouthwatering recipe. When paired with sweet caramelized onions and topped with Jarlsberg cheese, you’ll wonder why it was not a “must-have” ingredient before. Great idea.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2 cups chopped golden delicious apple, peeled
- 1 tbsp flour
- 16 oz apple cider
- 1 (32 oz) qt reduced-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup sherry wine
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 thin slices crusty baguette bakery bread (enough to make 2 cups when cubed)
- 8 thin slices Jarlsberg ® cheese
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat and add onions. Cook for 20 minutes or until browned and soft.
- Add diced apples and cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour and half of the apple cider, stirring constantly to thicken.
- Add beef broth, sherry and remaining apple cider, stirring and breaking up browned pieces on bottom of pot.
- Add thyme sprigs, bay leaf, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, toast bread slices until golden. Allow to cool and cut into cubes.
- Preheat broiler. Place 8 oven-safe bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Evenly distribute bread cubes in each bowl. Discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs and ladle warm soup over bread. Top each bowl with a slice of cheese.
- Carefully transfer pan to oven and slide under broiler. Broil until cheese has melted and is beginning to brown and bubble; watch closely so cheese doesn't burn. Carefully remove from oven. Using oven mitts, remove soup bowls from pan and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Calories 263kcal 13%
- Fat 8.7g 13%
- Saturated fat 4.9g 25%
- Carbs 33.9g 11%
- Sodium 393mg 16%
- 21.2g sugar
- 3.2g fiber
- 9.7g protein
- 27mg cholesterol