Great for a party or dinner! Get a head start by making the salad through Step 2 then cover and refrigerate. Finish the recipe right before serving.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ( 16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 ( 14 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ( 14 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. sliced smoked deli turkey breast, cut into strips
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 ( 13 oz.) bag tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- In a large skillet, over a medium heat, fry the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cumin and after another minute stir in the salsa, remove the pan from the heat.
- Drain and rinse the chick peas and black beans and combine with the salsa, set aside.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado. Cut into slices or chunks.
- Place the lettuce on a large serving dish and layer over it the bean mixture, chicken, avocado and cheese. Serve with chips for scooping.
Make Ahead: Prepare the salad through step 2. Cover and refrigerate. Complete recipe right before serving.
- June July 2015