Fresh tuna is worth the splurge every now and then. It’s a delicious, heart-healthy treat, especially when paired with avocado.
- 1 red onion
- 12 oz mixed cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 loaf unsliced country bread
- 1 lb tuna steaks
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 cups arugula
- Finely chop the onion and place in a bowl. Quarter the tomatoes and add to the onion.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Dice the avocado and add to the onion and tomatoes.
- Zest and juice the lime. Mix the zest, juice and 2 tbsp of the olive oil with the onion, tomato and avocado.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro and add to the avocado salad. Add salt (in moderation) and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan. Cut the bread into 8 slices and brush both sides with olive oil (you’ll use about 2 tbsp). Grill the bread for 3 min., turning once.
- Carefully clean the grill pan. Brush the remaining olive oil on the tuna and sprinkle with salt (in moderation) and pepper.
- Grill the tuna steaks for 5 min., flipping once.
- Spread mayonnaise on the grilled bread and top with arugula. Cut the tuna into strips and place over the arugula.
- Add one spoonful of avocado salad to each slice of bread and serve the rest on the side.
You can use frozen tuna steaks instead of fresh.
- savory clean living 2016
- Calories 1026kcal 51%
- Fat 46.1g 71%
- Saturated fat 7.7g 39%
- Carbs 99.3g 33%
- Sodium 930mg 39%
- 16.8g sugar
- 22.2g fiber
- 57.4g protein
- 46mg cholesterol